INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON PLANT BIOFACTORIES: STRATEGIES AND CHALLENGES
Dec 19-21, 2019
Organized Jointly by
SOCIETY FOR PLANT RESEARCH (VEGETOS) &
RAMNARAIN RUIA AUTONOMOUS COLLEGE, mumbai
Green plants form the resource base for all life forms on this planet and their unique biology make them the most abundant primary producers on earth. Today, the pressing needs to conserve fossil fuels and to utilize natural resources sustainably, has made us look back to the plant kingdom for more viable alternatives. With advanced techniques in molecular biology and biotechnology, scientists are also exploring novel means to address issues of environment and human health. Industries are eager to imbibe technologies which are more environment friendly and use resources more sustainably. Thus, to enable exchange of ideas and experiences, an international conference can enable a global platform that would encourage scientists to share results and also attract industries who could showcase their latest technologies.
The INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON PLANT BIOFACTORIES: STRATEGIES & CHALLENGES (PBSC – 2019) has been planned as an international platform in the Indian subcontinent region to foster global exchange of innovative ideas and technologies in harnessing the bio-synthetic capabilities of green plants. The conference is being organized jointly by the S.P. Mandali’s Ramnarain Ruia Autonomous College with SOCIETY FOR PLANT RESEARCH (VEGETOS). The deliberations at the conference will encourage interdisciplinary approach to alternative energy resources, sustainability and improvement of food resources, plant based medicines with technologies that will enable harnessing the synthetic power of green plants. This International Conference would result in a confluence of scientists, industry representatives and decision makers where not only ideas will be exchanged but also new collaborations will emerge for solving pressing issues of environment, health and wellbeing which have more global implications.
The Indian subcontinent region is known for its rich plant biodiversity and therefore offers a multitude of opportunities to reap benefits of plants as biofactories in meeting global challenges posed by energy crisis, environmental issues, nature conservation, food security and the welfare of humankind. The Conference has been planned to focus on key areas as mentioned below, that have seen innovations in approach and development of new technologies in the recent past.
- Phyto-microbial Technologies
- Plants as Bioreactors
- Algal Biotechnology
- Agri-based Processing Technologies
The conference shall cover various new developments and novel ideas in different areas that involve the harnessing of biosynthetic powers of the green plants. The Conference proposes to cover a wide range of subject areas, as listed below, which will have significant application potentials in resolving issues of human health, human lifestyle and our environment.
- Microbial technology in improving soil fertility and Plant productivity
- Phyto-microbial technologies of bioremediation
- Novel aroma chemicals and biocidal agents from soil microbes
- Microbiology of Rhizobacterial systems
- Soil inoculation and endotherapy
- Soil-plant-microbe interactions
Plants as Bioreactors:
- Secondary metabolites of plants for novel chemicals
- Medicinal plants and their rationalized use
- Reverse pharmacology in relation to traditional medicines
- Seed based bioreactors
- Specialized systems like chloroplast, hairy root systems etc.
- Plant biodiversity, conservation and their sustenance
- Algal biodiversity and bioprospecting
- Algal systems for biofuel and industrial chemicals
- Algal biotechnology for value added products
- Technologies for cultivation and processing of algae
- Algal systems in bioremediation
Agri-based Processing Technologies:
- Agro-biotechnology and post-harvest technologies
- Bio-fertilizers and soil management strategies
- Controlled cultivation systems and horticulture
- “Ponics” based plant cultivation systems
- Management and utilization of agricultural waste
About the Organizers
Reputed center for higher education affiliated to the University of Mumbai. Situated in the heart of Mumbai, India, the College has maintained its reputation of being amongst the top affiliated colleges in India. Ruia College has been conferred CGPA – 3.70 (out of 4.0) with A+ Grade in the NAAC Re-accreditation (4th cycle in 2017, valid up to 2024) and is the First College in India to be conferred the ‘College of Excellence’ status by UGC, New Delhi and has received the ‘Star College” status from the DBT, Government of India. The College has been nurturing both academic and industrial research successfully for almost last 75 and has been receiving regular research grants from UGC, DBT, DST, DAE-BARC, BRNS, NMPB, AYUSH, MMRDA, NBPH, Asiatic Society of Mumbai, University of Mumbai etc.
In the year 1988 proposal of establishing the Society for Plant Research was put forward by Prof S K Bhatnagar who prepared the documents as Founder Secretary General and got it registered as an autonomous Not for Profit organization under Societies Registration Act XXI of 1860 having its own constitution and bye laws which are amended from time to time by the Executive Council and General Body. The society was established with the view to provide an open platform to the researchers in various disciplines of Botany, Plant Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Plant Biotechnology etc. for publishing their researches in the journal VEGETOS. Besides this, organizing Conferences and Workshops under the aegis of Society for Plant Research was an essential activity to facilitate scientific discussions, exchange of view and interaction among scientists. Publication of research journal VEGETOS was also initiated in the year 1988. With an initial membership of 11 persons it has now reached more than 1800 from India and abroad.
SPR’s research journal VEGETOS (Quarterly) is globally recognized high impact factor journal being listed and covered by SCI, NCBI, NLM [Pubmed], Scopus [Elsevier], Publon, MIAR, CABI, Researchgate, UGC, Clarivate Analytics , Copernicus and all relevant database. From the year 2019, Springer Nature [https://www.springer.com/life+sciences/plant+sciences/journal/42535] has taken over VEGETOS as the co-publisher [Editor in Chief: Prof S K Bhatnagar]. For details, please visit www.vegetosindia.org.
Post Conference Tech-Tour:
The Conference will be followed by a one-day TECH-TOUR, on Sunday 22nd December 2019 that would provide the participants opportunities to get hands-on experience in various techniques and their scale up, phytochemical analysis and its evaluation. The workshop would involve an on-site visit to algal bioremediation plant to understand the design and erection of algal bioreactors.
- President: Dr. S. K. Bhatnagar, SPR, Delhi
- Convener: Dr. Anushree Lokur, RRAC, Mumbai
- Dr. Sasikumar Menon, RRAC, Mumbai
- Dr. Annamma Anil, ICT, Mumbai
Founder Patron : Prof. MP Yadav, NAAS, New Delhi
Chief Patron : Prof. R R Hanchinal, SPR, Delhi
Patron : Prof. Anupam Varma, IARI, New Delhi
Prof Sunil Pabbi, IARI, New Delhi
- Prof. (Dr.) Suhas Pednekar, Vice Chancellor, University of Mumbai, India
- Prof. Sagadevan, Queensland University, Australia
- Dr. Peter Lammers, Arizona State University, USA
- Dr. Henry Daniell, Upenn, USA
- Dr Gitanjali Yadav, University of Cambridge, UK
- Dr. Mohd. Aslam, ICMR, GOI
- Dr. Yogesh S. Shouche, NCCS, India
- Lt. CDR. C.V. Prakash, Pet Bharo, India
- Prof. N. Bharathan, Indiana University of Pennsylvania, USA
- Dr. Vinay Teregaonkar, Institute of Molecular & Cell Biology, Singapore
- Mr. R S Chaughule, Ramnarain Ruia Autonomous College, India
- Mr. Govind Paratkar, Ramnarain Ruia Autonomous College, India.
Local Organising Committee:
- Dr. Reena Pandit, Institute of Chemical Technology, India
- Dr. Jessy Pius, Ramnarain Ruia Autonomous College, India
- Dr. Seema Shinde, Ramnarain Ruia Autonomous College, India
- Dr. Vaishali Phusate, Ramnarain Ruia Autonomous College, India
- Dr. Bhavana Nirula, Ramnarain Ruia Autonomous College, India
- Dr. Varsha Shukla, Ramnarain Ruia Autonomous College, India
- Dr. Kanchan Chitnis, Ramnarain Ruia Autonomous College, India
- Dr. Sunil Shankhadarwar, Ramnarain Ruia Autonomous College, India
- Dr. Sachin Palekar, Ramnarain Ruia Autonomous College, India
- Dr. Sanchita Chaudhuri, Ramnarain Ruia Autonomous College, India
- Mr. Prashant Masali, Ramnarain Ruia Autonomous College, India
- Ms. Supriya Kale, Ramnarain Ruia Autonomous College, India
- Mr. Sachin Rajagopalan, Ramnarain Ruia Autonomous College, India